Friday, May 22, 2009

OFF-SEASON part III

Back in E-town I was hit with a feeling similar to jetlag. I didn’t fly so let’s call it roadlag. After driving Debo to the Airport for 6am I stayed up the rest of the day feeling weird that I was not on the road. I sat back and really thought of what we just did…. AMAZING! We actually made it across the country on a winter weekend. If we can do that then anything is possible. Gazing out the balcony I wondered why it couldn’t be June already? Reality started setting in, back to Grind Season. 


Grind Season part II

You’re probably wondering now why Grind Season and not off season? It’s Grind Season because if you’re really serious about the game, then there is nothing off about it. As a matter of fact off-season is my least favorite time off year, but the work has to be done. Grinding to get it. Grinding because I want it. I’m grinding because it’s what you have to do. Nothing happens over night. I’m still left with the bitter taste from last year. It’s GRIND SEASON!

Life during the grind season was much easier now that we had a car. Instead of arriving at the gym after work by 8pm, I was now leaving at that time. Though the days were still long it was much easier than riding the bike. The regimen was running smoothly but at work I was frustrated because I wanted to get my training done first thing in the morning, with work coming in second. Working at Totem was a great experience. I met a lot of Eskimo fans and other wonderful people. I explained my plan to some of them and they gave me encouragement and wished me good luck along the way. Despite enjoying working there, something had to be done to alleviate some time in the mornings so I could train more effectively. With the help of the Eskimos front office I was able to score a more flexible job. They lined me up with a job as a security guard. At first I was a little hesitant. Thinking back to Montreal, it was usually a work gig where you really had to secure. I took the job anyways.

I was given two permanent sites; Independent Jewellery and Icon Omega II. Icon Omega was a new condo building being constructed. During the weeknights I would work at the Jewelry store and on weekends Icon Omega. The first shift at Icon was long with not much to do. The building was empty except for the first 3 hours of my shift. Working 12hr shift on the weekend left me with plenty of time alone. Only a routine hourly check pulled me away. With so much free time on my hands I couldn’t possibly sit and do nothing all day. 

At this point, reading came back into my life. I needed to escape the cold winter feeling in the empty construction building, so I escaped with my mind. I took a friends advice and purchased a book, The Secret. Reading it over and over again throughout the month of February I let the words sink into my head. The book had a very powerful message and gave me a whole new perspective on life. If you haven’t heard or read this book I urge you to go get it now. I PROMISE YOU WILL NO BE DISSAPOINTED. This book reinforced a way of thinking that I had already practiced, but never to its fullest potential

The book suggested putting things down on paper, creating a “vision book”. With nothing to do but sit down all weekend I said yes to the vision book. The first day with the book was quite slow. I had a couple of goals and dreams down but it didn’t take much time. Pen in hand, looking at the notebook pages I felt I had nothing to put down. Last season I had started writing my experiences as a rookie for an online football site. After not finishing my entries, Pat, the owner of the site let me know that some of the readers were disappointed.  Remembering how terrible I felt that I didn’t finish, I decided to complete what I had started in my vision book. As I relived the experiences in my mind I put everything down as vividly as I could. The flood gates opened and I began writing non-stop.  Sitting in that empty building it was my only form of entertainment. I told my friend H about what I was doing and he urged me to create a blogspot.  The first two blogs I posted received so much feedback that creating the blogspot became the best thing I had ever done. I would re-live each week from the last season and capture the memories in writing. March and April flew by as I wrote and put in the work, making preparations for the next season. Grind Season had come to an end and I no longer hated it. I was back in shape, on a steady schedule, and feeling good about myself. With football season on the horizon, this is what I’ve been waiting for.

 

So now that we’re caught up to speed, LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION!

 

Countdown to Training Camp 10….

 

SAM-I-AM

 



No comments:

Post a Comment