Thursday, March 19, 2009

Life as a Rookie (Training Camp) Part 1 of 23


Training Camp



Still happy after being drafted, I spent two weeks in Dubai with my father, before starting training. It was a great experience witnessing another part of the world. My return flight landed me in Edmonton. With all my belongings and football gear, I had one plan in mind. There was no guaranty I was going to make the team, but sometimes you have to follow your heart. Picked up by a limo bus, I was shuttled along with a couple of other rookies in the same postion over to Commonwealth. It was exciting. I had never seen facilities like this in my life. Coming from Concordia, which has always been known for talented players, but was on the bottom tier when it comes to facilities. It was a dream come true! I felt like a kid in a candy store with options of a helmet, cage, shoulder pads and even a mouth guard. The goal was to keep this equipment. All rookies were put in the visiting locker room and had to walk by the Eskimo's lockers to go to practice. In the locker room we were all nervous, a feeling comparable to walking on thin ice. After everything was settled at Commonwealth we preceded to the Ramada Inn. It became the confines of where I was going to live for the next 2 months. We were then given an itinerary and the night off.

The Rookie must report 3 days early for rookie camp. This time was for evaluating the raw talent before the veterans came in. It was a vigorous 3 days of running through mini-drills. The numbers were low so it was high conditioning. Personally, I felt I was one of the best there, but was issued #3 on the depth chart. Putting your birth certificate aside, I was a better football player. But, Americans always get the benefit of the doubt coming from a better program of after being cut from an NFL team. Upset, I knew I was starting at the bottom. Despite playing this game for years I was ranked below players who have never played the game. I was looked down upon for being Canadian and given little respect from other rookies. I was satisfied after Day 1 that I had my reps in practice (reps meaning amount of plays). Usually there are about 200 reps (plays) in practice, and I got about 50 that day. But somehow on Day 2 , the American players had worked a side deal cutting me out of reps. It was very frustrating trying to get in that day. Not pleased, I made it a point to take my sufficient reps on Day 3. I became engaged in an argument with one of the American players. A coach came over and sent me off. I didn’t get back in for the rest of the day. Angered by the situation, I went to a meeting after practice with a sour face. My emotions are always written on my face and I have a hard time hiding them. After the day was said and done coach pulled me aside and explained that I wasn’t going to see many reps once the veterans come in. He urged me to be a sponge and just take everything in. I had already assumed this fact, but had no idea what was in store for me.

The veterans came in for training and I am bumped from being #3 to #6. If you know anything about football #6 does not exist on the depth chart. I was not in a good position! As the days wore on I saw 0 repetitions in practice. The only time I got in was on special teams drills and 1 on 1’s. Can I tell you how hard it is to cover someone who is running a sub 4.2-4-3 cold?! Long story short, I got abused, being put at a disadvantage while everyone else was warm from practice. Every other day I was given a whole 5 reps but at a different position each time. Needless to stay I had to know every Defensive Back position and their adjustments. It was tough mentally, but I had experience in every position growing up which helped.

At the end of training camp we had the infamous Green & Gold game. Offense vs. Defense in a controlled scrimmage. It was time to put what I learned on the sideline to the test. When it came time to shine I was nervous and shaking and it felt weird to be on the field. During the first play I made the mistake of lining up wrong. But afterwards I completed 2 sacks and one pass return. I hit my assignment 100%. After the game we signed autographs for the fans who came out to watch. It was a great experience. I made the first cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment