Saturday, March 21, 2009

Life as a Rookie (Week 1) Part 3 of 23


Once a Cardinal always a Cardinal! You’d be amazed how quickly you learn a game once you start losing. I had the privilege of Young Cal initiating me, it was a great night to remember. Regular season practice was much different from training camp. With no more 2 a days, my body had adequate time to rest. Finally in the Eskimos locker room I was happy to be a part of the team and starting the next step of my life.

Week 1 Edm @ Sask. At the beginning of the week there was a special teams depth chart posted. This was a quick indication of whether you were travelling or not. With me not being a starter, this was how I was going to get onto the field. Evaluating myself during pre-season, I did not do anything spectacular but I also didn't make any huge mistakes. I felt I did well enough to earn a spot on the depth chart. I was wrong, Number 19 was not on the sheet. But all was not lost, Coach reminded us to check the chart because it could change drastically. Later that day Edmonton's own T.I (not the rapper) threw a B.B.Q for the team to bond and get to know each other. With steaks on the grill, Madden going, and people on the pool table, there was no shortage of things to do. I tried to jump on the pool table but seniority rules and I had to wait 8 games. When I finally got on Pre mopped me up with 6 balls on the table. I was out of my league. I sat back down, still nervous and shy. Remaining quiet I relaxed and enjoyed the rest of the night. The next two days I checked the board hoping to find that number 19 on it. No luck. I wished the team good luck as they packed and I went back to the hotel where I remained for the weekend. Healthy Scratch.

Game Day. All excited I couldn’t wait for the game to come on. I got myself a tall beverage, pizza and was ready to rock. Like a true fan I yelled at the TV as if they could hear me. Watching CFL was so different now that I was on a team. The game made more sense to me and I understood the plays and team strategies. Growing up, I had always tried to figure out players assignments but now it was so clear to me. We kept it close to the 4th, but the wheels fell off. Esks lose 13 -34.




No comments:

Post a Comment