Sunday, March 22, 2009

Life as a Rookie (Week4) Part 6 of 23

Week4 Edm @ Tor. Road trip. Although the team had already been on a road trip, this was my first. I Packed my bags, put on a suit, and hit the road. I was not active this week, so I did not get to fly with the team. It's been two months since I've been in Edmonton which marks the longest time I've been away from home. I wasn't feeling home sick yet but I started to miss the field. How it felt to be under the lights, reading, reacting, making plays. The knots in your stomach before kick-off. The feeling you get when you've made contact and you know its a good hit. Still unsure of what my home position was, I made a decision to only focus on Sam linebacker and Safety and the rest would come with time. Even if I did know only my home position, I would still attempt to learn everyone elses in the defense. This was a big part of my success at Concordia. My coach gave me limitless options to call various plays within the constraints of the defense. He trusted me to make the right call for the right situation. The catch was I had to be right 99% of the time. In order for me to put others in good positions I had to know their assignments. At first it was hard. I felt overwhelmed with such responsibility, but as time went on I got used to it. Taking a picture of everyone pre-snap I made sure things were in order, and if not I had to fix it. I woould like to thank my former coach for giving me such freedom. It truly made a better player.

Game Day. I've been to the skydome several times so it wasn't anything new. Reuniting with some players I met at CFL E-camp, we talked about the hard knocks of being a rookie. Going from former CIS stars to practice players was a big change. It felt good to talk to someone experiencing the same difficulty. We enjoyed a couple of laughs and went to our respective sidelines. Another exciting game going down to the wire but this time we were on the losing end. Esks lose 35-31

Notes: We lost another key member of our defense. Fred Perry went down with a broken leg.





Following the game I met my sister and went over to her place for supper. It was warming to see a familiar face after so long. It felt even better to have a nice home cooked meal. My cooking skills were not up to par yet, still a work in progress. The next day Big Pat, who was also visiting family members in the area picked me up. We returned back to burlington to re-unite with the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment