Sunday, March 22, 2009

Life as a Rookie (Week6) Part 8 of 23


Week 6 BC @ Edm. This was a very emotional week with injuries starting to add up. The status of Tuck's injury was a big cause of concern. Players were questioned all week! With the way the media frenzied over it, you could tell how important he was to the organization.


Game Day. For the Pre-Game speech, just a day out of surgery, Tuck Blessed the team with his presence. This was the first time anyone saw him since the big hit. Just seeing guys eyes light up when they saw him was really touching. After 2 games not in the line up I was dressed. Flirting with the dress roster I thought maybe I'd start flirting with the field as well. Wanting to get in so bad, I followed the special teams coach around the whole game. We started strong but were flat in the second qrt. In the 3rd qrt it was looking like they were going to put the game away when someone made a play. B-rad big 16 turned the game around.





New life after the Offense turned it around for us. It was second and long when Rick let the ball go. I was like this doesn't look good. Ball sailing over the middle of the field KP went up and caught the ball inbetween 3 defenders. He took a malicious hit that sent him spinning and hit the ground. You could hear the whole crowd going ooooo. To everyone's surprise KP got up immediately, and pulled up the jersey flashing the number 83 for our fallen teammate. The crowd went into a roar! Stadium re-energized, it was the spark we needed. To remind us who we were playing this game for. Two plays later, touchdown. Fred Stamps flashing the 83 as well under his jersey. In the midst of this comeback, injuries had put me on deck. I took my first CFL plays. Heart racing, my assignment was to block. Unfortunately I didn't get to do my job as an assignment error left someone open and they got the first down. Itching to hit someone I didn't get to lay any plastic down. Now, in the 4th another injury required someone on kick off. I GOT EXCITED! Salivating to get in 2 yards on the field, coach holding the back of my jersey looking for the okay from the big guy. Nay! Crushed I was pulled back and replaced. Lead by KP and the receiving core we pulled back into the game and took the lead. BC could not respond as the emotions were just so high that we weren't going to lose. Esks win 35-24





WE GOT YOU TUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment