Thursday, April 16, 2009

Life as a Rookie East Final Part 23 of 23

Edm @ Mtl The win guaranteed us another week of practice and yet another game. Now, a step closer to our ultimate goal, we were only one game away. With the status of our starting fullback questionable, there was a small chance I might dress. As in previous weeks, I was placed at a couple of different positions on special teams. By this time, I had already given up all hope to see the field this year. Even though I worked hard in hopes of getting in, I had already assumed that it just wasn’t going to happen. I did not want to get my hopes up again and have them crushed. Week 6 had really taken a toll on me mentally. Though I was up beat at practice, at home I was utterly depressed. Not to shadow what happened this week, I made great progress. Previously in 1 on 1’s I had the mindset, Don’t get beat. What happens when you think like that? You get beat! Instead I told myself that I would win every rep. I came close, winning 4 out of 5. To top it off, the last one I was able to intercept and I ran it back to the end zone as if I was in the game. On both sides of the ball players were impressed by my performance. I used to get beat like a drum, now I was holding my own. Following practice, the team packed for the trip. As usual there was no bag in front of my locker. Normally I would dash as soon as possible, but this was really our last practice at commonwealth, win or lose. So I stayed and enjoyed a couple of laughs with the team. Before I left I hand one request “Bring me home to Montreal next week.”



Game Day. At home for this one I didn’t want any distractions or the chance of missing one second of play. I ordered myself a pizza and had a 6 pack. I was officially in fan mode. We started off with a great deal of steam. AC and the Montreal offense took some time to get back in the rhythm. As the game was rolling, I received calls from friends who were at the game asking me where I was. Hearing the action live in the background, I wanted to be there BAD! I replied, “Not this year man”. Slowly, the Montreal offense put it together. The turning point in the game was a 2 punt return touchdown by Larry Taylor. This killed any kind of momentum we once had. Our returner TJ added one himself, but it was too little too late. Esks lose 36-26.


No comments:

Post a Comment