Friday, April 10, 2009

Life as a Rookie (Week 14) Part 17 of 23


Week 14 Wpg @ Edm Finally, after several bad weeks I was starting to feel better about myself. No major incidents from last week marked the first in a six week stretch. I was continuing to improve by not worrying so much about hurting anyone, but rather finding ways to win without contact. The advice given to me from several players had started to sink in and everything was making sense. I thought back to times in Montreal when I used to practice martial arts with my neighbour, nickname Ninja. It was his passion but would just do it every now and then for the fun. Ninja convinced me to train with him twice a week, explaining that it would be very useful towards football. Playing defense there is a high probability every play I will have to shed a block in order to get to the ball. Now, the quicker I beat the block the faster I would get there. In addition, the game was also slowing down every week and I noticed that I was able to concentrate on more things than just my assignment. I started using the knowledge I learned from my good friend to beat blocks rather than brute force. Another successful week, no pile up, no injuries, no one mad at me, it was a great feeling!

Game Day we started off slow, it looked like Winnipeg was going to run away with this one. Down 14-1 we got a spark from our special teams converting on a fake punt & our all-star returner T.J ran one back. In the second half the defense took over creating turnovers and not letting Kevin Glenn and that offense get back on track. Esks win 36-22

Notes: we lost J.R Larose to a broken leg




Immediately following the game I noticed that everyone was giving me that look. Being one of the few healthy Canadians it appeared it was my chance to play. “You’re up Okpro”! Excited, but I was still skeptical about it. I wasn’t confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment