Friday, April 10, 2009

Life as a Rookie (Week 15) Part 18 of 23




Week 15 Edm @ BC The whole weekend I pondered if they were actually going to put me in, I didn’t believe it. It was too good to be true, instead of having high hopes like I did early in the year, I kept them low. If I didn’t expect it and it never happened then I wouldn’t be crushed. Monday came, I walked into the locker room and stopped by the equipment manager, Mr. Dwayne. He said, “Okpro step into my office”. I thought for a second hmmm this could be good…. “They are bringing a guy back from last year he wore 19 do you mind giving it up?” Now, before he could really finish the sentence I said “YESSSS” although 19 is a nice number I felt it did not suit me. “What are my options?” 6,10,13,14,27 I chose 10! Why? It was the closest to my college number! NO ONE gets to wear 1 here in e-town. Though I knew I was not getting in, I was excited about the number change. That day checking the special teams board 19 was on it. Several players were excited for me asking me if I was up? “Naw man it’s not me…” “Damn that sucks he took your number and your dress spot, ouch!” Well if you look at it in that way yea, but I had already had a feeling I wasn’t getting in. So, I looked at it in a different way, I felt it marked the end of my rookie season. I didn’t feel like a rookie anymore so the change was good. Out on the field “damn Sammy you look like you lost weight” “ Naw MAN I got my SWAG back.” I can’t tell you how much a number does for your confidence. I felt like a new person and didn’t ever really care that I wasn’t getting in. I felt GREAT!



Game Day On the road again we went into B.C place. The game got dirty in the second quarter and our starting safety was ejected. We came together and over came the adversity that faced us. Led by the defense in the second half, we shut them down. Not giving that explosive B.C offense any momentum to come back in the game. Esks win 27-20





No comments:

Post a Comment