Thursday, April 16, 2009

Life as a Rookie (Week 17) Part 20 of 23

Edm @ Sask In past weeks, I have accumulated only about 40 reps off defense. The bulk of my enjoyment was playing on the scout team defense. Growing more confident every week, I was mastering Safety! My opponent was Ricky Ray. For 17 weeks Rick had always managed to look me off, he was good at it. I had enough of it! In response, I changed my method of reading the play. Originally, I would read O-line 1st to determine run or pass, followed by QB 2nd , and receivers 3rd. Rick arranged to have me covering a spot where the ball was never going to go. At times he had me so out of position that I could not recover. The look he was giving, was removing me from the vicinity of play, which affected my role as safety to cover. After acknowledging this, I then changed my reads to 1st O-line, 2nd receivers, and 3rd QB. Why? The QB read was last because by that time he was finished deceiving me by looking me off, and either had to tell me the truth or get sacked. My system proved to be working and I was much closer to the ball than before. Great week of practice!

Game Day. I was asked to make a public appearance on behalf of the team at Commonwealth. The gentleman said he was going to e-mail me the location. On the way to the stadium, I realized I forget to check the e-mail. However, I wasn’t worried because it could only be in two places. I recalled the man saying it was where we had the meeting. I proceeded into the Alumni room, greeted by 5 gentlemen. I explained how I was asked to come down and watch the game. It was not a problem to them, so I assumed I was in the right spot. Almost immediately, I was offered a beverage and some chicken wings. I wondered where the other players were. I assumed because I was 30min. early they could easily be coming later for kick-off. As game time crept close, I noticed two things. First, I was in the wrong place, and second, I was among former Eskimo greats. These alumni were members from the 5 in a row dynasty. Food and drinks were flowing and the conversation was great! Though I was not speaking too much, I was absorbing valuable information about the game. There was no way I was going to leave this room and pass up an opportunity to listen and learn from players who have been there. Although the current Eskimo’s were slaughtered on this day, I felt privileged to be surrounded by such great athletes. I came to realize how lucky I was to sit out and watch my rookie year. The wisdom I learned from listening to these fine gentlemen talk about the game was one of a kind. The knowledge was way beyond my years and will without a doubt contribute to my future success in the CFL. Esks lose 56-4.


No comments:

Post a Comment